Sunday, March 8, 2009


Flag Rugby Tournament, Sheepshead Bay High School

This winter I worked as a Play Rugby mentor introducing flag rugby to two middle school physical education teachers and their students in Brooklyn and Queens. Today, the first of two culminating tournaments was held at Sheepshead Bay High School.

I imagine the tournament is a high light for the students. Playing against other schools makes "rugby" real. They've spent the last few months learning rugby related games, playing with and against each other in gyms or possibly even the school cafeteria. Today they played together representing their schools while playing on a turf field in Brooklyn.

In the morning session, I recognized several returning schools from last year's tournament. One such school traveled two hours and twenty minutes on public transit from the Bronx. That's dedication! Remember day lights savings time started this morning too. Queens and Brooklyn schools were also represented.

These young players played hard and seemed to enjoy the competition. There were a handful of spectators on the sidelines to cheer them on. Some parents watched their kids play rugby for the first time. I met a teacher from a school in Queens who's not even the PE teacher. However, she came out on a Sunday morning just to watch some of her students.

In addition to Play Rugby, my rugby ties extend to New York Rugby Club, my home club. Currently, it's the only club in New York City that runs youth programs, including an Under-19 and 12 and under. I spread the word about today's event to the Under-19 coaching staff. Molly Dengler, the girls head coach, showed up with with flyers and information about the program. The response from students was overwhelming. The idea of playing tackle rugby was especially enticing. She ran out of flyers well before the afternoon session.

Hopefully today's tournament whet the appetite of many. I overheard an eighth grade girl ask her PE teacher if she could play rugby in high school. When I hear things like that I know we're doing something right.

1 comment:

  1. What an exciting project!! I frequently after something or another happens or I'm around certain people saying to myself "I love rugby". I will no have a place to share these thoughts with the world!!

    ReplyDelete